But we knew it would get your attention because that’s the question everyone always asks. They also ask, “How many extracurricular activities should I have?” This also is the wrong question.
Admissions committees don’t think like that. What they want to see displayed throughout your activities are unique examples of what we call the 7 Core Attributes — “The 7 C’s”:
- Challenge — growth as a result of challenge or hardship
- Creativity — initiative
- Curiosity — a seeking nature, contributing to intellectual development
- Character — generous and ethical
- Commitment — demonstrated interest in and dedication to what you find important
- Collaboration — ability to work with and lead others
- Cultural Intelligence — ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
Your college application has to tell a coherent story about who you are — one that makes sense to an admissions committee.
You need to think about what your activities demonstrate — what “story” they tell about you. How do you do this? Here are the steps — we’ll give you the tools. Use our Current Activities Assessment Tool below to help you do this exploration.